1. Welcome to the palace of Our Lady of Guadalupe, today house of the Museo Regional of Nuevo León. It was built at the end of the viceroyalty by the Franciscan monk Fray Rafael Jose Verger, second Bishop of the Diocese of Linares , such as nursing home and prayer grounds that were granted by the city of Monterrey in 1787.

    2. This building, commonly known as the Bishop, is a building of great historical and architectural value. The first restoration of the building began in 1946 and in 1956 was opened as a museum. In 1998 the corridors and arches of the main façade were replaced and the interior of the dome of the chapel was decorated .

    3. After the bishop's death and since Independence, the building was used as a military fortress , taking a prominent role in the defense of the city during the American Invasion (1846), the French Intervention (1864), Revolt of Noria (1871 ) and the Mexican Revolution (1913 and 1914 ) . The building underwent some changes and went through periods of complete ruin and neglect , being also used as a quarantine hospital during the epidemics of 1898 and 1903 and as a cabaret in 1920.

    4. The bishop noted for its large size, the strength and height of the walls , the size of the main facade in Baroque grandeur stipe possibly the dome was completed between 1953 and 1857 . The building is constructed in ashlar stone, a material characteristic region , and is one of the few examples of colonial architecture still preserved in northeastern Mexico.

© Copyright 2013 Museo Regional de Nuevo León El Obispado  Rafael José Verger S/N, Col. Obispado, Monterrey N.L. C.P. 64010

Tels: 83 46 04 04 y 81 23 06 44. e-mail: museoobispado@inah.gob.mx